To ensure that a sports club runs smoothly and efficiently, a management team/committee must be formed.
The management team or committee should have a president or chairperson, a secretary, and a treasurer. These people provide governance for the club - they will ensure good leadership and adhere to principles of best practice.
The role of the management team/committee includes:
- making sure that the club meets its aims and goals, and its obligations as outlined in its constitution
- making sure there are people and resources available to achieve these aims and goals
- managing any potential risks to the club
- developing and implementing policies that achieve its aims and goals
- involving everyone in the club with achieving it aims and goals
- reporting, at least once a year, to the wider club.
- ensuring the long term well-being of the club, both financially and organisationally.
- monitoring and evaluating the clubs activities for quality and relevance.
- providing a job description for each role within the Management Committee. Job descriptions outline the key tasks and responsibilities of each of the management roles. Sample or template job descriptions that can be tailored to suit your particular club are provided in the resources section.
The Committees, Roles and Running Meetings section of the Club Kit has further information on management roles, and on running meetings